Conceptual artist and independent curator living in Barcelona since 2006. My work explores the ephemeral space and its interaction with the passage of time. Although using a variety of media, most work is done in installation and photography format.
Barcelona-based artist and independent curator (b. 1980, Malta).
My grandfather John Briffa was a gilding decorator who worked on various palazzos and churches around Malta, whilst his brother Joseph Briffa, a renowned figurative artist, also worked in churches, but focused on painting religious scenes on their ceilings and walls.
Commencing my formal artistic studies at the School of Art in Valletta in 1996, I continued my art practice under the mentorship of the late Olaug Vethal, Raymond Pitré and Alfred Briffa in Malta.
After obtaining a Bachelors degree of Communications and Psychology at the University of Malta in 2002, I studied conceptual art at Metàfora Studio Arts Programs in 2010.
After working in graphic and web design for 14 years, I finally made the permanent switch to the visual arts and took on my current role as coordinator of the contemporary art program at Metàfora in January 2015.
Since July 2017 I have curated three independent art projects and completed various curatorial courses presented by the Node Center for Curatorial Studies online platform in Berlin.
Festa Major Les Corts
ARCOGalleryWalks guide during Barcelona Gallery Weekend
EINA Print.ed fair
Passatge de Piera: Interpretació d’una Transició
Artist Takeover: in the park
The Discourse Project installation series in Malta
Discourse [41.3777, 2.1416]
MONA biennial: a work of art in one tweet
Artist Residency in Motherhood (2017-2020)
Malta Artist Directory interview published
Bringing up two little children and creating a new series of abstract photographic artworks called A Visual Poem.
On Visual Poesy – the Passage of Time: a new detail photography project specific to instagram flows
Working on a balance between early motherhood, working as contemporary art program coordinator at Metàfora Studio Arts and having a career in the arts. Starts an artist instagram account.
Second child, Tommy is born.
“Times Square Takeover”, Times Square billboards, New York
“Exposure” See | Me Exhibition Space, Long Island City, New York
Photographic competition (runner up), Galería ArtMallorca, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“SCOPE Art Fair” Miami Beach, USA
“Creatives Rising” See | Me Exhibition Space, Long Island City, New York
“The Story of the Creative” See | Me Exhibition Space, New York
“Women in Photography” Atlanta, Georgia, USA
First child, Liza is born.
Photography Open Salon Arles (screening installation), Galerie Huit, Arles, France
Carrousel du Louvre Salon Contemporary Art Fair “Art Shopping Paris”, France
Galería Javer Róman, Malaga, Spain
International Art Fair: Kunstart 2012, Bolzano, Italy
Galería Untitled Bcn, Barcelona
Malta Design Week, Old University Building, Malta
Metàfora Studio Arts Program on-site exhibition, Barcelona
Participation SWAB Art Fair “Postcards”
Can Manyé, Alella
Galería Untitled Bcn Barcelona
Metàfora Studio Arts Program on-site exhibition
Galería Untitled Bcn Barcelona
Gracia Arts Project Barcelona
Christine X Gallery, Malta
Other / Interviews / Press:
- ARCOGalleryWalks guide during Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 2018
- Compositions: Pep Vidal “Esperando a ser interrumpido” Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 2017
- Artists’ Directory (Malta), 2017
- The Times of Malta, July 2013
- Times of Malta (Business Supplement), March 2012
- Miscellaneous publications: please click here
- 2018: Socially Engaged Art Projects: Community and Participation with Stine Marie Jacobsen, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2018: Fundraising cultural: financiación para organizaciones y proyectos artísticos con Ana Fernández Osorio, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2018: A Practical Guide to Curating with Nora Mayr, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2015-2016: El Torn Barcelona (ceramics) – Hand building and painting with Glazes and Engobes
- 2013-2014: El Torn Barcelona (ceramics) – Wheel Throwing
- 2012: Escola Davinci, Barcelona
- 2010-2011: Metàfora Studio Arts Program
- 2094: Alfred Briffa, Malta – life drawing classes
- 1998-2002: Oloug Vethal, Malta – mentorship, private classes
- 1998-2002: B.Communications and Psychology at the University of Malta
- 1998: Raymond Pitre, Malta – mentorship, private classes
- 1996-1998: De La Salle College, Malta (under the tutorage of Olaug Vethal) – Art Advanced Level
- 1996: The School of Art, Valletta, Malta – academic drawing
Alexia Medici reserves copyright on all images and artworks created by her, this includes works that have been sold and/or appear in external publications.