Alexia Medici (1980, Malta) is an independent artist, art program coordinator and a socially engaged curator based in Barcelona since 2006. She loves being around people, and her curatorial projects mediate between their social narratives and her personal investigations based on history and historical architecture. This mediation usually results in site specific exhibitions related to the passage of time, and its effect on the surrounding space and its community.
Alexia Medici (1980, Malta) es una artista, coordinadora y comisaria independiente socialmente comprometida con sede en Barcelona desde 2006. Sus proyectos curatoriales median entre las narrativas sociales y sus investigaciones personales basadas en la historia y la arquitectura histórica. Esta mediación a menudo resulta en exhibiciones site-specific relacionadas con el paso del tiempo y su efecto en el espacio circundante y su comunidad.
Although engaged with art since her childhood, her formal studies are in Communication Studies and Psychology, where she graduated from the University of Malta in 2001. She then worked as a graphic and web designer. In between 2010-2011 she took an academic year course at Metàfora Studio Arts Programs in Barcelona.
She has two children, born in 2012 and 2014 respectively, and during this time, her artwork which previously was mainly installation based, evolved into photography. Hence her fascination for the interconnection between space and time began. After working in design for 14 years, she assumed her current position as coordinator of the art program in Metàfora in January 2015. The role of coordinator gravitated her art towards curatorship, a role that suited her interests and with which she instantly felt comfortable with, giving her lots of gratification.
Since evolving into a curatorial role, she successfully completed several curatorial courses and curated three major site specific art exhibitions, each with a focus on the mediation between art and the general public.
- Guide for collectors during ARCOGalleryWalks during the Barcelona Gallery Weekend 2019
- Expanding Exhibitions: Innovative Approaches to Curating, NODE Curatorial Studies
- Talk at Sant Andreu Contemporani about L’últim Passatge as part of their curatorial program entitled Pasarse de la raya (Crossing the line)
- Presentations at Escola Barcelona introducing L’últim Passatge to neighboring schoolchildren
- Interview by Luis Benvenuty from La Vanguardia about L’últim Passatge
- Curated L’últim Passatge: an artistic tribute to the residents of Passatge de Piera and Colònia Castells
- Artistic collaboration with Katerina Ashche Máquina del Tiempo for L’últim Passatge
- Curatorial participation Festa Major Les Corts as a prologue to L’últim Passatge
- Socially Engaged Art Projects: Community and Participation, NODE Curatorial Studies Online
- Cultural Fundraising, NODE Curatorial Studies Online
- Guide for collectors during ARCOGalleryWalks during the Barcelona Gallery Weekend 2018
- Participation in EINA Print.ed art fair, Barcelona
- Interview by journalist Daria Gavrilo about Passatge de Piera: Interpretation of a Transition
- Curated Passatge de Piera: Interpretation of a Transition
- A Practical Guide to Curating, NODE Curatorial Studies Online
- Presented the Discourse Project installation series in Malta
- Curated Artist Takeover: in the Parc de la Espanya Industrial
- Participated in Artist Takeover: in the Parc de la Espanya Industrial with Discourse [41.3777, 2.1416]
- MONA biennial: a work of art in one tweet
- Artist Residency in Motherhood (2017-2020)
- Malta Artist Directory interview published
- Participation in Barcelona Gallery Weekend 2017
- Bringing up two little children and creating a new series of abstract photographic artworks called A Visual Poem.
- On Visual Poesy – the Passage of Time: a new detail photography project specific to instagram flows
- Working on a balance between early motherhood, working as contemporary art program coordinator at Metàfora Studio Arts and having a career in the arts. Starts an artist instagram account.
- Second child, Tommy is born.
- “Times Square Takeover”, Times Square billboards, New York
- “Exposure” See | Me Exhibition Space, Long Island City, New York
- Photographic competition (runner up), Galería ArtMallorca, Palma de Mallorca, Spain
- “SCOPE Art Fair” Miami Beach, USA
- “Creatives Rising” See | Me Exhibition Space, Long Island City, New York
- “The Story of the Creative” See | Me Exhibition Space, New York
- “Women in Photography” Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- First child, Liza is born.
- Photography Open Salon Arles (screening installation), Galerie Huit, Arles, France
- Carrousel du Louvre Salon Contemporary Art Fair “Art Shopping Paris”, France
- Galería Javer Róman, Malaga, Spain
- International Art Fair: Kunstart 2012, Bolzano, Italy
- Galería Untitled Bcn, Barcelona
- Malta Design Week, Old University Building, Malta
- Metàfora Studio Arts Program on-site exhibition, Barcelona
- Participation SWAB Art Fair “Postcards”
- Can Manyé, Alella
- Galería Untitled Bcn Barcelona
- Metàfora Studio Arts Program on-site exhibition
- Galería Untitled Bcn Barcelona
Gracia Arts Project Barcelona
Christine X Gallery, Malta
Other / Interviews / Press:
- ARCOGalleryWalks guide during Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 2018
- Compositions: Pep Vidal “Esperando a ser interrumpido” Barcelona Gallery Weekend, 2017
- Artists’ Directory (Malta), 2017
- The Times of Malta, July 2013
- Times of Malta (Business Supplement), March 2012
- Miscellaneous publications: please click here
- 2018: Socially Engaged Art Projects: Community and Participation with Stine Marie Jacobsen, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2018: Fundraising cultural: financiación para organizaciones y proyectos artísticos con Ana Fernández Osorio, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2018: A Practical Guide to Curating with Nora Mayr, Node Center for Curatorial Studies, Berlin
- 2015-2016: El Torn Barcelona (ceramics) – Hand building and painting with Glazes and Engobes
- 2013-2014: El Torn Barcelona (ceramics) – Wheel Throwing
- 2012: Escola Davinci, Barcelona
- 2010-2011: Metàfora Studio Arts Program
- 2094: Alfred Briffa, Malta – life drawing classes
- 1998-2002: Oloug Vethal, Malta – mentorship, private classes
- 1998-2002: B.Communications and Psychology at the University of Malta
- 1998: Raymond Pitre, Malta – mentorship, private classes
- 1996-1998: De La Salle College, Malta (under the tutorage of Olaug Vethal) – Art Advanced Level
- 1996: The School of Art, Valletta, Malta – academic drawing
Alexia Medici reserves copyright on all images and artworks created by her, this includes works that have been sold and/or appear in external publications.